As part of the case research process, the GIM Initiative had equipped its Research Fellows with flip cameras to record some of their field visits and interviews. Today, the GIM Initiative is publishing five of these video clips, illustrating the following cases:
- Wind, Water for Life (Senegal): VEV is a small company in Senegal providing long-term repairs for the wind water pumps previously installed by an Italian NGO (LVIA) in 130 villages. VEV CEO Michel Tine walks us through the village and explains how the system works. Video footage by Mamadou Gaye.
- Hey Textile (Turkey): Hey Textile is a story about a female entrepreneur in Turkey who achieved business success by breaking from the conventional practices in the textile industry and investing in poorer parts of Turkey. The video gives a voice to the different stakeholders involved in this venture, from the mayor and governor of Hacibektas – where the factory is located –, to factory employees and manager, as well as local merchants. Video footage by Murat Cokgezen.
- Esoko (Ghana): Esoko is a technology-based market information system (MIS) providing farmers and traders with market information such as prices, and a platform for advertising and negotiating buy/sell offers. In this video, the team behind Esoko, include founder and CEO Mark Davies, explain Esoko’s challenges and benefits. Video footage by Olayinka David-West.
- GiroNil (Egypt): GiroNil was established in January 2005 in Egypt as a joint venture, a public‐private partnership of local and international banks and financial institutions, to develop and implement a shared cashless (giro) payment system. The video demonstrates how the system works. Video footage by Pascale Nader.
- MDI (Vietnam): Challenging the common idea that Fair Trade would only appeal to the 1 billion people in the well-off global North, MDI is a young family-owned company specialized in equitable trade of Vietnamese agricultural products, including coffee, green tea, jasmine tea, snow mountain tea and cashews. MDI founder, Ms. Minh, shares her story. Video footage by Quynh Tram Nguyen-Stevenin.